This is a high-level course designed for professionals working in true remote settings for extended periods of time with no additional resources readily available. This course differs from Standard First Aid as the curriculum aligns with and includes scenarios relevant to our outdoor environments. This course is more advanced than the Wilderness Advanced First Aid and is designed to train on patient care for extended periods of time. Students learn essential principles and skills required to assess and mange medical problems in isolated and extreme environments for days and weeks if necessary.
Do you currently have a WFR certificate or equivalent 80 hour course, and are looking to recertify? Check out the Open WFR Recertification Course. Does this course sound too advanced at this time? Check out the Wilderness Advanced First Aid course and perhaps, take a Bridge Course in the next couple of years to upgrade to the WFR.
We have partnered with Wilderness Medical Associates (WMA)
For these medical courses, we partner with Wilderness Medical Associates. WMA has set the standard in wilderness medicine for over 30 years. Their thought-provoking curriculum is updated by a group of healthcare professionals and is recognized around the world.
Course Information (WFR)
The course will be both in class and outdoors. The course will be held in and around Crowsnest Pass. More specific details will be sent out in the student handbook after registration.
This course is taught by highly trained WMA professionals in the medical industry.
Students must be at least 16 years or older. If under 18 years of age, written consent is required by the parent or guardian.
No previous experience is necessary. A student can take the Wilderness Advanced First Aid (WAFA) and bridge to the Wilderness First Responder within 3 years of taking the WAFA training.
* Wilderness and Rescue Medicine: A Practical Guide for the Basic and Advanced Practitioner
* The Field Guide of Wilderness Medicine & Rescue
* Wilderness Medicine Workbook
* SOAP Notebook
* Wilderness First Responder Class Notes
Spring / Summer Session: June 20 – 27, 2020
Fall Session: October 24 – 31, 2020
Cost: $925 + GST/person
Certification is valid for 3 years.
To recertify your current WMA International WFR certification you can take an Open Recertification course, retake the WFR course or take a Bridge course from WAFA to WFR (this option must be taken within 3 years of the original certification).
* Patient assessment and emergency care including CPR, basic life support, and the emergency treatment of anaphylaxis and asthma.
* Environmental Medicine including altitude illness, hypothermia and heat illness, frostbit and cold injury, lightning, submersion, and environmental toxins.
* Backcountry Medicine including the assessment and treatment of common medical problems.
* Musculoskeletal Problems including unstable and stable injuries overuse syndromes, and dislocations.
* Wound management including open fractures, lacerations, burns and blisters.
* Practical skills including splinting, bandaging, litter packaging and medical kit preparation.
* WMA International Wilderness Protocols including wound cleaning and exploration, spine injury assessment, dislocation reduction, CPR in the remote setting, and anaphylaxis and asthma.
* Synthetic or natural insulative layers for outdoors
* An outer shell, including pants and rain gear (we will be outside rain, snow, or sunshine)
* Outdoor footwear
* Comfortable indoor shoes or slippers
* Sun hat
* Watch (for taking vitals)
* Something to sit on outside (i.e. chair, thermorest)
* Bug repellent
1. If you cancel 14 days or more prior to the program starting, all course fees will be returned except for a $25 administrative fee.
2. If you cancel less than 14 days prior to the program starting, then a refund will NOT be issued.
3. No transfers are offered on or after 7 days prior to the course start date. A $25 administrative fee will be charged on all transfers.
4. If the program is cancelled by Uplift Adventures, a full refund will be issued.
DISCOVER THE ROCKIES WITH A LOCAL EXPERT
Based in Crowsnest Pass, AB
Operates throughout the Canadian Rockies
Customize your adventure with us!