This course is to recertify an 80 hour Wilderness First Responder (WFR) or equivalent course. This is a high-level course designed for professionals working in true remote settings for extended periods of time with no additional resources readily available. This course differs from Standard First Aid as the curriculum aligns with and includes scenarios relevant to our outdoor environments. This course is designed to train on patient care for extended periods of time. Students learn essential principles and skills required to assess and mange medical problems in isolated and extreme environments for days and weeks if necessary.
We have partnered with Wilderness Medical Associates (WMA)
For these medical courses, we partner with Wilderness Medical Associates. WMA has set the standard in wilderness medicine for over 30 years. Their thought-provoking curriculum is updated by a group of healthcare professionals and is recognized around the world.
Course Information (WFR Recert)
The course will be both in class and outdoors. The course will be held in and around Crowsnest Pass. More specific details will be sent out in the student handbook after registration.
This course is taught by highly trained WMA professionals in the medical industry.
Students must be at least 16 years or older. If under 18 years of age, written consent is required by the parent or guardian.
Must have a current WFR certification or equivalent received within 3 years of the recertification course.
Students will have access to the pre-course assignments 2-4 weeks prior to the course. Students should complete the study guide in preparation for the course. It was designed to familiarize students with the essential points in the curriculum. Instructors will collect it at the beginning of the course, but it will not be a part of the final grade.
* Wilderness and Rescue Medicine: A Practical Guide for the Basic and Advanced Practitioner
* The Field Guide of Wilderness Medicine & Rescue
* Wilderness Medicine Workbook
* SOAP Notebook
* Wilderness First Responder Class Notes
Spring Session: April 21 – 24, 2021
Fall Session: Nov 3 – 6, 2021
Cost: $525 + GST/person
Certification is valid for 3 years.
To recertify your current WMA International WFR certification, you can take an Open Recertification course within 3 years of original certification, or retake the WFR course.
* Patient Assessment System
* Circulatory/Respiratory Systems
* PAS Drills
* Basic Life Support (Healthcare Provider-Level CPR)
* Nervous System
* Spine Management
* Patent Immobilization
* Litter Carries and Belays
* Emergency Childbirth
* Allergy and Anaphylaxis
* Altitude or Diving
* Near Drowning
* Search and Rescue
* Traction Splints
* Improvised Litters
* Simulation and Debrief
* Backcountry Medicine
* Medical Kits
* Synthetic or natural insulative layers for outdoors
* An outer shell, including pants and rain gear (we will be outside rain, snow, or sunshine)
* Outdoor footwear
* Comfortable indoor shoes or slippers
* Sun hat
* Watch (for taking vitals)
* Something to sit on outside (i.e. chair, thermorest)
* Bug repellent
1. If you cancel 14 days or more prior to the program starting, all course fees will be returned except for a $25 administrative fee.
2. If you cancel less than 14 days prior to the program starting, then a refund will NOT be issued.
3. No transfers are offered on or after 7 days prior to the course start date. A $25 administrative fee will be charged on all transfers.
4. If the program is cancelled by Uplift Adventures, a full refund will be issued.
WANT TO TRY, BUT DON’T HAVE THE GEAR?
WE RENT GEAR!
We want to set you up for success! Try it, before you buy it.
On the checkout page, make sure you add gear rental to your purchase.
We rent tents, backpacks, sleeping bags, and more!
DISCOVER THE ROCKIES WITH A LOCAL EXPERT
Based in Crowsnest Pass, AB
Actively operating in Waterton Lakes National Park & Castle Provincial Parks
Operates throughout the Canadian Rockies
Customize your adventure with us!